I got sick of our bathroom vanity and decided it was time for a new one. It sort of looked like this one, except bigger, but with seemingly less storage space. It was really outdated. And for the amount of room it took up it didn't provide nearly enough storage. I really wanted double sinks, but everything I could find in stores was either too big to fit into the space, too plain, or too expensive. I liked the idea of vessel sinks on top of a desk-like surface. I drew up a sketch of my ideal sink and went to work.
I found this old desk at a thrift store for $30. It had perfect bones for the job!
I removed the hardware and using a butter knife, I popped the decorative panels off the drawers. I sanded it to death with a hand sander and then used a tack cloth to make sure the surface was free of any dust.
I primed it with Muralo Waterborne Primer in a dark gray using a roller. Then I painted it with Muralo Waterborne floor paint in black. I'm only naming the brand because I honestly noticed a HUGE difference in how the paint went on and how it cured. I also invested in really good brushes. Don't be afraid to drop $20 on a brush, it's a good investment and if you take care of your brushes they will last you a long time.
I ordered my vessel sinks from Amazon for $50 a piece. There were many to choose from, however - not only were they the cheapest, but also the exact bowl style I was looking for. The faucets were a little pricey. You can't use any old faucet with a vessel sink, they need to be tall enough to reach over the bowl. I was also very picky about the style. I found a style on Amazon that I loved for $70 each. The hardware for the drawers I just happened to have laying around. I purchased them from IKEA months prior for a different project, but they worked out perfectly! I had Hubs finagle the plumbing. The original vanity only had one sink, so we had to find the right plumbing materials to split the one. We used a flexible plastic tube for the drainage.
To top it off I bought a couple of big mirrors for next to nothing at Ocean State Job Lot. They were just plain wood, and I should have sanded them, taped them off, and painted them, but I was exhausted at that point and just taped and spray painted. It is the only part of the project I regret. In the nook under the right sink I wanted to place a laungry hamper. I found this one on Walmart.com. It was a little pricey for a hamper, but the quality is way better than I expected. All in all it was a great project and I'm very satisfied with the outcome. I like that we are now able to store 2 stools hidden in the space under the left part of the sink so that the kids can brush their teeth without a struggle. I also like that we have much more storage. The two top drawers' depth was cut in half to allow clearance for the drain, but they are perfect for toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss on one side and hair elastics, combs, bobby pins, etc. on the other. This is definitely a doable project, guys!